The previous post included a possible question for the Augustine topic, and a link to my mind map on the pre and post-lapsarian will (pre and post Fall).
Some things to bear in mind when looking at how Original Sin corrupts humans and societies:
- The will is key to it in Augustine. The will is seen as love, love of self and love of neighbour. Before the Fall these are in harmony.
- These are respectively, cupiditas and caritas. They can work together in the friendship of Adam and Eve before the Fall. No lust or concupiscence has entered into that relationship and brought about strife and conflict.
- The will orients itself in friendship as a cohesive force over soul and body – there is no division in the will in the garden of Eden.
- After the Fall pride drives itself as a wedge between caritas and cupiditas such that there is now a division in the will. Human beings begin to experience a conflict between their own desires and what should be accorded to others.
- Pride is both the sin of Adam and the sin of the fallen angels (chiefly Lucifer). Now true friendship is only possible by putting Christ first, then love for neighbour is generous, forgiving and removed from cupiditas.
- So Christ is the remedy for the weakened will.
Next post: Knowledge of God’s Existence question.
hello do you happen to have any predictions for the A Level paper?
I’ll post something tomorrow
Do you have predictions on A Level, Philosophy and ethics exam on Monday 11th June? Thanks!
Sorry I meant Religion and ethics!
It’s not my strong area but I will give it a go